Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Message to America from the Gay Lesbian Transgender Bisexual Society

Far be it for me
To ask for my liberty
I'm only an American
It's not like we're United or anything
And we don't seem to stand for anything
All our messages are conflicting
We go against our own Declaration
Of being endowed by our Creator
With freedom to live, liberty to pursue happiness, and equality

We were not created equally mentally or physically
But in our God-given rights
Our rights not to be held to a double-standard
And it is that right that is is being infringed upon us today!
In the GLTB society we have less freedoms, we have less liberty, and we certainly aren't treated with equality because of this double-standard
This is a fight in which we are being denied the same financial rights as a straight couple; and state and church and federal governments more often than not refuse to recognize our Holy Matrimonies

It's a simple case of misunderstanding that has gone way out of hand
It has spiraled downward into a seemingly complex argument of religion and politics and family values
Please allow me to break it down!
The homosexuals choose the way they feel about people the same way you choose your last name, whether or not you like ice cream, or your favorite color
It's like that except for the fact that two people who love each other, who happen to be of the same gender, and are capable of having a happy, healthy, loving relationship and raising healthy kids in a safe and loving environment, are being denied this future
These are people who are reasonable and in love with each other
But what we have is a community saying, "I don't like the color purple, me and my friends and family think it's the wrong color to like, so YOU shouldn't like this color either"

Call it "mirror-imaging;" call it "lack of empathy;" I call it egocentrism
It's looking at the world from only one perspective and then trying to get the whole world to see it that way too
Little children do this all the time
It's immaturity and it's out of control

It's also a case of people who aren't homosexuals who are pretending to be experts on homosexuality

To quote the poet Nasir Jones,
"We fear what we don't understand,
Hate what we can't conquer;
Guess it's just the theory of man -
became a monster."

And it's true for the most part of history
Let me use this theory as a lense in which to look back-
Since the dawn of mankind, otherwise smart, mature people have been governed by irrational fears over things they couldn't understand, and hatred of feelings they couldn't conquer:

The earliest civilizations feared that storms were punishments from the gods and wondered what they were doing wrong;
They killed people who didn't worship the same god or gods they did because they couldn't convert them and therefore couldn't conquer their minds;
They have divided the world into "us versus them" to explain these fears
With "us" being the ever-pious and just,
And "them" always being heathens and evil
Kids do it all the time; they pick on people who are different then them
Even if it's something as uncontrollable as a last name

But now we have these kids, who never learned empathy, grow up as figures of false authority
And they dehumanize whole races, civilizations, genders, ethnicities, religions, and other minorities -
Even left-handed people, for a time, were considered evil due to the unusual nature of their hand preference -
Evil!
For something as unusual and yet trivial as hand-preference!

Little do these egocentric people know that the "strange and otherworldy evil-doers" are just their brothers and sisters in a different location or body or orientation
And as long as the "different people" believe in freedom of life, liberty to pursue happiness, and equality, they are our friends in arms
Homosexuals have the same family values and have to work on the same kind of lust and fear getting in the way of commitment as you do;
Promoting homosexuality is not what the media is doing- it is integrating the reality of actual humans who happen to lovesome of the same gender into pop culture where it belongs.
It's not promoting homosexuality as an alternative to heterosexuality, it won't turn your children gay!
You're either born gay or you're born straight or you're born with the ability to be inclined more gay or more straight depending on what your early childhood experiences and fears and desires are.
For all you family values people out there- most homosexuals are on your side!
The conflicting values are irresponsibility versus responsibility, and irresponsible people can be straight or gay
Homosexuals are no more or less hedonistic than any other person their age.
So all of this holding homosexuals to a double-standard is no different than childish egocentrism on a political and cultural scale, and it MUST be stopped!

As a teenager I feared my own homosexual urges and hated the fact I could not be normal because I could not find some magic pill to rid myself of them...
But I found out it was normal to have those urges, just unusual to have them to that extent
I found out it was something I could accept and learn to live with
And I plan on having kids some day
I'm just really open to the fact that my love, my true love, my soul mate may come to me in the form of male or female
I don't really care!
I understand now what my limits are and what I'm capable of
I may not be able to control my desires, but I can control how I act, and I choose to act responsibly and enter into a loving and healthy relationship
You might say, I've grown up since when I was a teeanger who was under the spell of fear and hatred

And as a nation, we can't let fear and hatred govern our lives!
As a nation, we need to be the grown-ups of the world and move past the childish mentality of egocentrism and "us versus them"!
We need to grow up if we want to lead the world in freedom, liberty and equality, because we are a localized community of brothers and sisters to be United, and its time we started acting like a Union, and stopped holding our Gay-Lesbian-Transgender-Bisexual minorities to double-standards because of our irrational fears!

To quote the Fellowship Church- "The object of getting free is living free; the object of living free is staying free"
The Union we entered into over two-hundred years ago for freedom was born of a revolution; but the war is never truly over
We need to stay free
And that is a process that lasts until the end of time!
Let us no longer be governed by fear and hatred!
Let us practice what we preach-
And stand for something God-given called freedom!

No comments: