Sunday, January 20, 2008

Truth of the Week- Theater / Films / Television

As long as we realize what we as humans in a society have in common and how interconnected everything is, we can disagree on other things (celebrate our differences) and have our little vices and addictions. As long as we act on responsibility and shared values, we can have social cohesion. As long as we respect ourselves and fellow humans as sacred souls on a sacred journey, as Gods, we can work towards world peace in a highly spiritual way.

These quotes were selected due to their complementary nature to my mission statement. They represent Truth, a Holy quality in reality. Though we live in a relative world, a subjective and existential world, some Absolute Truth slips through the cracks of the Afterlife into ours. I got some funny stuff in here to keep you laughing, because laughter is the language of the soul.

This Week in Theater:
Theater:
The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton
A great story about how friends become family in the form of gangs to complete the human need of solidarity while gangs tend to be shortsighted enough to lose their empathy and polarize conflicts with individuals into “us vs. them” mentalities. This was put on by high schoolers, but it was still powerful enough to make grown men cry. Read the book, see the movie, do whatever you can. Recommended for all everyone, especially pre-teens.

Watching the sunrise:
Johnny: “It’s like the mist is what’s pretty, ya know? All gold and silver…To bad it can’t stay like that forever”
Ponyboy: “Nothing gold can stay”
Nature's first green is gold, Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower; But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf. So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day. Nothing gold can stay.
- “Nothing Gold Can Stay,” Robert Frost

This Week in Films:

Juno
The movie gave me the truth that the person who loves you is the one who loves you even when you're being a total bitch to them.
“I need to know that it's possible that two people can stay happy together forever.”
“In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with.”
It also posed the question we are all seeking to know: Can two be in love, and have it be like that forever?
Jack Nicholson says guys fall out of love in about two weeks; for women it is about nine months.
What do you think?
God has answered my question, I believe, through the words of the writers of a film. See Facebook quotes under Eric Coleman’s Quotes of the Week.

Funny quotes:
“You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events.”

“...Doctors are sadists who like to play God and laugh at the lesser people's pain.”

On the fetus:
- “she told me the baby had fingernails. Fingernails!”
- “Oh, gruesome. I wonder if the baby's claws could scratch your vag on the way out?”

-“I think I'm, like, in love with you.”
- “You mean as friends?”
- “No, I mean, like, for real. 'Cause you're, like, the coolest person I've ever met, and you don't even have to try, you know.”
- “I try really hard, actually.”
Cool Hand Luke
“You made me this way, where am I supposed to fit in?”
Luke to God

David recommends:
The Fountain, the movie

This Week in Television:
The Wire- Refugees
Quotes:
No one wins, one side just loses more slowly

You need soft eyes to do this job. If you use hard eyes, you mistake the forest for the trees.

Money has no owners, only spenders

Themes:
Patience with learning – learn from masters by participation/observation
Discipline of body – take care of your body and it takes care of you (involves mental discipline to put principles to test)

30 Rock
“Love:
A urine mirage
In a desert of fear”

“Our founding fathers never intended for poor people to live past forty”

Daily Show
David Frum, author of Comeback: Conservatism That Can Win Again, says that Republicans should just stop telling people what they believe all together. I agree, it’s making them look bad, and I don’t care what religion my leader is a part of, but I do want to know if they are an extremist when it comes to issues that matter like gay marriage and abortion, because you KNOW an extremist president would try damn hard to put shit in the constitution that don’t belong…

Colbert Report
Gary Rosen, managing editor of neo-conservative publication Commentary Magazine, on the subject of the National Intelligent Estimate (which was wrong about WMDs being in Iraq), said that it’s point now is that Iran is not building the weapon aspect of the nuclear weapon, but is still enriching uranium (which isn’t a crime, but Rosen seems convinced Iran only has ONE use for this uranium- nuclear weapon capability).
Bush still won’t speak to Iran’s leader, as well as North Korea’s… Where’s Kennedy and Khrushchev when you need them? Obama, if elected, has claimed he would make speaking with these leaders a priority. Good. It’s about time. You don’t get anywhere by ignoring a dangerous country’s leader! You talk to the bloody dictator! Bush, your hands are just as red as any other tyrant’s.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
I swear, this was already on when I turned on the TV!
Well, this one girl was pouring her heart out, and I liked this quote:
“Maybe there’s a little loser in all of us”
Then she said some cliché about the small things in life that make us happy that make life worth living. I guess the cliché has some truth to it, but getting a chance to drive a yellow ’57 Chevy Bel-Air convertible would make me happy, and I would probably always remember that shit, but doesn't make my life worth living. But living my dreams might. So maybe it would make it worth living. Aah!! City of God/City of Man, I got one foot in each world, and I’m fine with it. I’m not ready to be an ascetic. Not in this life at least…I don’t think.

Giving and doing the right thing makes my life worth living. I got that insight from watching My Name Is Earl. That is a fabulous show! Doing the irresponsible only leads to more bad shit, and doing the responsible is responsible for good karma, or if you don’t believe in that, it’s good for inner peace. You feel good about yourself through redemption, regardless of whether or not you believe in a punisher in the sky.

The Office
Steve Carrel:
“Let’s see, do I want to be feared or loved? Well, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me”

1 comment:

Brannon said...

That quote from Juno was powerful and beautiful. Love is difficult and impossible for many to define. I mean how do you define and experience? Experiences, especially experiences such as love are not meant to be defined. However, that quote from juno was beautiful because that was a great way to describe love and to me it attempted to answere your question about if 2 people can be in love forever. I definitely think so. Yes, 2 people grow and change. However, if you have true love that person will love you for the person you change into. In other words, the love will be there through thick and thin. You ultimately will grow together. You 2 may not always be the same person but the love will always be there. It's like an old quote that I have that I can't remember the author of, "True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love never ends." You can also look at old people who have been with their significant other for like 60+ years. Of course nothing is guaranteed and there is always the possiblity that you will fall out of love with the person. But I think it is both possible to fall out of love with a person as well 2 people falling and being love until eternity. People often throw the word love around too loosely. But I think that beautiful quote from Juno proves that you can find love that will last forever. No doubt there will be challenges along the way but anything worth holding onto will take effort.